Financial Services Policy 11.1 – Student Refunds

Student Tuition and Fees


Official Notice of Intent to Completely Withdraw from The University of North Carolina at Greensboro

Students who find that they must withdraw from the University can do so by dropping all courses online via UNCGenie. Students who drop all courses within the term are considered to be withdrawn from the University and must seek reactivation or readmission through either Undergraduate Admissions or The Graduate School to return to the University in subsequent terms.

In case of a major disaster, including a pandemic flu occurrence, the University will follow UNC General Administration refunding guidelines or, in the absence of such guidelines, UNCG Executive Staff decisions.

Students who wish to discuss the academic consequence of a change in enrollment status at the University may contact:

  • Undergraduate Students: Undergraduate Studies, 061 McIver Building.
  • Graduate Students: The Graduate School, 241 Mossman Building.

There will be a $50.00 non-refundable processing fee charged to all students who completely withdraw from the University. Tuition and fees will be adjusted per the University’s Total Withdrawal Refund Calendar. An example of this calendar may be viewed below.

Return of Federal Title IV Funds

The federally mandated Return of Funds Policy governs the return of Title IV funds disbursed to students who complete the official withdrawal process as defined by the University. The term refund should be understood to mean the repayment of money received by the University for tuition and fees or for a reduction of charges if tuition and fees have not yet been paid. Title IV funds include Federal Unsubsidized and Subsidized Stafford Loans, Federal Perkins Loans, Federal Graduate PLUS Loans, Federal PLUS Loans, Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG), and NCSIG. Federal Work Study is excluded from this procedure.

Unearned Title IV funds must be returned to the Title IV programs. Unearned aid is the amount of disbursed Title IV aid that exceeds the amount of earned Title IV aid. During the first 60% of the enrollment period (semester or term), a student earns funds in direct proportion to the length of time he or she remains enrolled. The period of time during which a student is enrolled is the percentage of aid earned by the student. A student who remains enrolled beyond the 60% point earns all Title IV aid for the term.

The percentage of the period that a student remains enrolled is determined by dividing the number of days the student attended by the number of days in the term. Calendar days are used in the determination of percentages. Breaks of five (5) days or longer are excluded in the calculations. The percentage may be found by using the following formula:

= 100% – (number of days the student attended / number of days in the semester)

Example of Total Withdrawal Refund Calendar:

Example of Total Withdrawal Refund Calendar:
1 100% 35 68%
2 98% 36 67%
3 97% 37 66%
4 96% 38 65%
5 95% 39 65%
6 95% 40 64%
7 94% 41 63%
8 93% 42 62%
9 92% 43 61%
10 91% 44 60%
11 90% 45 59%
12 89% 46 58%
13 88% 47 57%
14 87% 48 56%
15 86% 49 55%
16 85% 50 55%
17 85% 51 54%
18 84% 52 53%
19 83% 53 52%
20 82% 54 51%
21 81% 55 50%
22 80% 56 49%
23 79% 57 48%
24 78% 58 47%
25 77% 59 46%
26 76% 60 45%
27 75% 61 45%
28 75% 62 44%
29 74% 63 43%
30 73% 64 42%
31 72% 65 41%
32 71% 66 40%
33 70% 67-110 0%
34 69%

If the amount of the Title IV funds disbursed is greater than the amount of Title IV funds earned by a student, a return of Title IV funds is necessary. Both the University and the student are responsible for returning a percentage of the unearned aid.

The University will return federal funds to the appropriate federal program up to the total net amount disbursed from each source as required by law. The prescribed order of return is:

  • Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan
  • Direct Subsidized Stafford Loan
  • Federal Perkins Loan
  • Federal Graduate PLUS Loan
  • Direct PLUS Loan (Parent)
  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Other Title IV Programs

Return of Non-Federal Funds

UNCG will return Non-Federal funds received and applied to a student’s account requested by the source from which the funds were disbursed. Any outstanding financial obligation to UNCG will be deducted from the amount of Non-Federal funds to be returned. Funds will be returned to the student unless they are requested by the source from which the funds were disbursed. When a student completes the withdrawal process, the Cashiers and Student Accounts Office will initiate a refund and either mail it to the student’s current address or deposit it into their specified bank account. If a student still has an outstanding financial obligation as a result of this process, the University will bill the student for payment.

Military Call-Up Policy

Leaving Prior to the Completion of a Term

A student voluntarily or involuntarily called for active military duty in the Armed Services Reserve or the National Guard is eligible to elect one of the following options for leaving prior to the completion of a term:

A. Complete Withdrawal Option (without academic penalty)

  1. Tuition and general fees are fully refundable.
  2. Health fees are generally fully refundable, except for students who have used the University’s health services. These students would be billed at the service rate to a maximum charge equivalent to the health fee. Students who have enrolled in the Student Health Insurance program should contact the agent for information on a pro-rated refund of premium.
  3. Room and board are refunded based on the number of weeks the room is occupied and the meals consumed.
  4. The student is still responsible for all miscellaneous charges, such as library fines, parking charges, health service charges, etc.

In order to be eligible for a refund under these guidelines, the student must contact the University Registrar’s Office and provide the following::

  1. A copy of his or her call-up papers; these serve as documentation for the refund of tuition and fees.
  2. A mailing address to which the student would like the refund to be sent.

The University Registrar’s Office will notify the appropriate offices of the student’s withdrawal, including Undergraduate Studies, The Graduate School, the Financial Aid Office, Housing and Residence Life, and the Cashiers and Student Accounts Office.

In order for a student living in University housing to receive a refund from Housing and Residence Life, room keys must be returned to the appropriate office.

If a student is receiving financial aid when called to active duty, financial aid must be repaid according to federal and state guidelines before a refund will be issued by the University.

B. Early Exam Option

A student who is required to report for military duty not earlier than four calendar weeks prior to the date a semester ends as stated in the official University catalog (or after completion of at least 75% of the enrollment period in a non-standard semester) may, when authorized by the instructor, take the final exam early and be given full credit for all courses that have an average grade of C or better. Students are not eligible for refunds for courses in which they receive credit.

C. Incomplete Grade Option

A student who is required to report for military duty prior to the completion of a term may take a grade of incomplete in a course and complete it upon release from active duty. Course completion may be accomplished by independent study or by retaking the course without payment of tuition and fees. Under federal financial aid policies, a course that is retaken in this manner may not be counted towards a student’s enrollment load. An eligible student who receives an incomplete for any course is not entitled to a refund of tuition or fees paid.

Returning to UNCG Within the Same Term

A student called for active duty and subsequently released within the time frame to re-enroll during the semester of withdrawal may pursue re-enrollment within the same term. The University will make every effort to accommodate the request. Individual contacts with faculty involved will determine appropriateness of returning to a course.

Returning to UNCG at the Start of a New Term

A student voluntarily or involuntarily called for active military duty in the Armed Services, Armed Services Reserve, or the National Guard who wants to return to the University must submit an application for readmission to UNCG Undergraduate Admissions.

The returning student is eligible to have the application fee waived if:

  1. The student selects the option to pay by check during the application process.
  2. The student notifies the UNCG VA Certifying Official of the intent to return and provides a copy of orders confirming dates of call to active duty.

The re-enrolled student is technically ineligible to participate in early registration for the term of re-enrollment; however, the University will arrange a priority window to assist the student in returning with appropriate classes that are applicable towards the field of study.

Summer Session

Students who completely withdraw from their summer courses will be handled with the same refund policy that applies to the regular academic year.


Regular Term Courses

The refund policy applies to complete withdrawals from UNCG. If a student simply reduces their course load after the Late Registration and Schedule Adjustment period (refer to the University Academic Calendar), NO refund or reduction of charges whatsoever will be credited to the student’s account. However, if the drop in hours occurs before the end of the Late Registration and Schedule Adjustment period, the student is entitled to a full refund for the hours dropped. If this change results in the creation of a student account credit balance, a check will be generated and mailed to the student’s campus box or local mailing address or, if the student has chosen the option, direct deposited.

Part of Term Courses

For courses that begin after the semester starting date (refer to the University’s Parts of Term Calendar), a full refund will be issued for a course dropped by the third calendar day from the class start date (class start date being day one) if the class meets a minimum of 30 sessions. For classes meeting less than 30 sessions, the date for full refund will be calculated as completion of 10% of the sessions. For example, the drop date for full refund would be the second day of class for a class that only meets 20 sessions. If this change results in the creation of a student account credit balance, a check will be generated and mailed to the student’s campus box or local mailing address or, if the student has chosen the option, direct deposited. This applies to a drop in hours only and not a complete withdrawal.

Summer Session Courses

If students reduce the number of their credit hours during a summer session, they should then refer to the last day for tuition refund for a drop in credit hours chart listed in the Summer Session Calendar published on Summer Session’s website.


The University Refund Appeals Committee considers appeals from any student who wishes to submit an appeal in writing. Cases are referred to the committee when a student feels that the University’s refund policies do not address particular circumstances. The Refund Committee will not review appeals that are more than one year old. If the original appeal is denied, the student has the right to re-appeal as long as they can provide new documentation with the re-appeal. If the second appeal is denied and the student feels it deserves further consideration, the third appeal would be referred to the Vice Chancellor of Business Affairs. Appeal forms may be obtained in the Cashiers and Student Accounts Office.

Questions? Contact the Cashiers and Student Accounts Office, 151 Mossman Building, 336-334-5831.